A lot of big hair, more Mad Men discussions than you can shake a stick at, little woodland creatures decor, and a cat named Woody in a gold lamé tuxedo. Such was our wedding weekend in Washington, DC with Emily and Eric. They’re two amazing people who know how to have a really good time and have really good taste. Emily got ready in an old timey hotel room with lots of portrait paintings and a tiny ceramic squirrel holding their rings. I went to take pictures of her adorable blue shoes and a tuft of cat hair fell out of them, so I liked her right away. Then I had the opportunity to listen to them describe in great detail how one of her bridesmaids bought a tuxedo at a pet store for Emily and Eric’s cat Woody, but how it velcroed at the wrong spot so that Woody was able to get out of it, so she used it as a template to make a bigger, better tuxedo out of a gold lamé fabric (because why not?) that also was able to attach to a harness. They used a stuffed animal version of Babar for approximate measurements, but had to take some of the fabric out at his final fitting (cat tailoring is complicated). Woody did not tolerate having his picture taken for long, but man, he looked good in a tuxedo. Speaking of which, Emily and Eric also looked equally fantastic in formalwear, and together the three of them make a very fashionable DC family. We enjoyed every bit of our stay in DC getting to know them, and now we also have the first wedding under our belt where Geoff took the metro to the guys getting ready spot and I walked to the girls. We could get used to this. :)
- Date: June 6, 2015
- Ceremony + Reception Site: Josephine Butler Parks Center // Washington, DC
- Emily’s Occupation: Works on housing policy in the White House budget office
- Eric’s Occupation: Manager at the Environmental Protection Agency
- How You Met: We were in the same graduate school program together at Georgetown in Washington DC.
- Interesting Fact: Emily volunteers at the National Zoo (I operate the panda cam for a couple hours each week). Eric loves the ocean but doesn’t live anywhere near it anymore. To stay busy, he works in the garden and is on a quest to run the length of every street in the District of Columbia. He tracks his progress by marking-up a map on their wall.
- Honeymoon: Andalucia, Spain
- Vendor Credits: Officiant – Jessica Ben Ami | DJ – Van Petty | Florist – A Petal’s Edge (Gerry Rogers) | Cake – Cakes by Leslie | Caterer – A Main Event (Rebeccah Propp) | Hair/Makeup – Modern Bridal | Videographer – Wedding Mix DIY Videography | Coordinator – Candy+Co Events (Tori Maltby)