Michelle fulfilled my ongoing search for the unicorn bride: tattoos, short hair, and tea-length dress. Richard knows a lot about Star Wars. Together, they had cat-themed thank you gifts and a guest book consisting of two framed artwork portraits of cats in formalwear. Bonus bonus bonus points: Michelle is gluten-free so I could eat everything at this wedding, including all of the flavors of cupcakes, of which I had both chocolate and lemon (thank you, JP’s Pastry, for making me a very happy woman on this day). They were married on a very hot and sunny day at Fred Fletcher Park near downtown Raleigh amid some blooming Magnolia trees, an old and beautiful historic building, and some bridesmaids wearing fake mustaches. We laughed, we cried, we watched people do the Single Ladies dance. All in a fantastic day’s work for these two very awesome people.
- Date: May 23, 2015
- Ceremony + Reception Site: Borden Building at Fred Fletcher Park
- First Dance Song: “God Only Knows” – The Beach Boys
- Occupations: Richard is starting as an assistant professor and Michelle is starting a position in social research at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in August.
- How You Met: Wet met in graduate school at NCSU – Richard was two years ahead of Michelle in the sociology program.
- Interesting Fact: Richard and Michelle play a lot of board games together.
- Honeymoon: England for work/mini-honeymoon in June, and then a full honeymoon to a beach resort in December.
- Vendor Credits: Officiant – Rev. Ingrid Weber Sagula | DJ – Alex Choi of Vox DJ Company | Cake – JP’s Pastry | Caterer – Irregardless Cafe | Cat Print Guest Book – Ryan Berkley Illustration