Lucy and Kevin booked us without first meeting us as they are living in New York City and have very busy schedules, and we were down here with very busy schedules, and we kept trying to make meeting work but it just didn’t. Then we were up in Manhattan for an engagement session and so we met up with Lucy and Kevin over burgers at a super tasty place somewhere in the city where peanut butter milkshakes were had both by Lucy and myself and everything was great. They showed us pictures of their cat, as well as pictures of their cat sitter who is about to have a podcast about cats. We showed them pictures of our cats. We briefly discussed a preliminary timeline for their wedding and then went right back to talking about our cats. I started following Lucy on Twitter and Instagram, where now I can see regular updates on her cat.
When I got to Lucy’s parents’ house while Lucy was getting ready, I said, “How is your cat? How is the guy who is taking care of your cat?” and Lucy promptly pulled out her phone to show me a picture of her cat cuddled up with her beloved cat sitter. Then other bridesmaids starting showing me photos of their cats too. One showed us a picture of her dog but it was a really cute fluffy dog that had cat-like ears so it’s okay. So what you’re about to see below is less about Lucy and Kevin getting married so much as it is about their cat Masha gaining two official parents. We’ve reached out to Masha’s representatives and we’re awaiting a comment on how she feels, but our guess is pretty thrilled, but that she’d also like fed.
In a rare move where I’m about to say things that don’t involve this couple’s cat, I’d like to announce that Lucy and Kevin are a wonderful couple, talented musicians (Kevin plays trumpet and Lucy plays violin and we’re talking like official music school musicians of music musicology and all that music stuff), and we loved working with them both. Lucy is wonderful and Kevin is the Best Kevin and it was a joy photographing them looking really serious in front of a painting of a giant button.
– Date: November 4, 2017
– Ceremony + Reception Venue: NCMA (North Carolina Museum of Art) // Raleigh, NC
– First Dance Song: “Mango Tree” – Zac Brown Band
– Lucy’s Occupation: PhD student in Historical Musicology
– Kevin’s Occupation: Software Product Manager
– How You Met: At a party for admitted Vanderbilt students before the start of our freshman year of college back in 2008.
– Interesting Fact: We have a tabby cat named Masha and our most longstanding argument concerns yellow vs. dijon mustard (ed. note: obviously dijon is superior (nope))
– Honeymoon: Somewhere warm TBD!
– Vendor Credits: Officiant – Katherine Burson (Kevin’s aunt). DJ – Mitch Woodard of Joe Bunn DJ Company. Florist – The Watered Garden. Cake – Cinda’s Creative Cakes. Caterer – Iris Cafe. Hair – Katelyn McGinn. Makeup – The bride. Coordinator – Morgan Greer with the NCMA. Ceremony Music – Jonathan Kramer on cello (he played at Lucy’s parents’ wedding almost 30 years ago!)