We’ve been longstanding supporters of LGBT equality and marriage, and in our careers we’ve photographed engagement sessions and commitment ceremonies of couples who couldn’t legally get married in our state. A couple could have a commitment ceremony here, but they’d need to get legally hitched elsewhere and had to come back to live in a state that didn’t legally acknowledge their union. When we met Matt and Scott, we were all aware that it would be a commitment ceremony like the others we have done. And while we were thrilled to work with these two amazing guys, we were even more thrilled when same-sex marriage became legal in North Carolina in October, turning Matt and Scott’s previous commitment ceremony into a legal marriage recognized by the state, and the first one that we’ve photographed on our home turf. :)
Usually I don’t get very sappy on the blog as I prefer to remain somewhat aloof and sarcastic (sappy doesn’t really mix with the bats, does it). But! I’ll do it just this once since we really were happy to have this be our first legal same-sex wedding in NC. And we were even happier to see Matt and Scott surrounded by a huge group of very proud and loving family and friends. There were some tears and lots of hugs and a cake topper that looked like Matt and Scott with their two cats at the bottom. And who could ask for more than that? We’re so happy to show you these pictures, and we’re so happy for Matt and Scott. :)
- Date: April 25, 2015
- Ceremony and Reception Venue: The Cotton Room // Durham, NC
- First Dance: “Here Comes the Sun” – Glee
- Scott’s Occupation: Emergency room physician
- Matt’s Occupation: Postdoctoral scholar in cognitive psychology/psycholinguistics
- How You Met: Online (or as Scott says, he ordered Matt off the internet).
- Interesting Fact: When we first met, Matt was obsessed with the Food Network but never cooked, whereas Scott was obsessed with cooking but never watched the Food Network. 7 years later, those roles have completely reversed.
- Honeymoon: Hawaii
- Vendor Credits: Officiant – Reverend Barbara Lodge | DJ – All Around Raleigh DJ | Florist – Amrose Flowers | Cake – Cinda’s Creative Cakes | Caterer – Triangle Catering | Hair – Blo | Videographer – Dean Garris of DEANO Pictures | Coordinator – Emily Nunn of Whiskey and White Events | Design Consultation – Melinda Knowles of Host Raleigh