Joe captured Geoff’s heart by being radically obsessed with the Smashing Pumpkins to the same exact degree as Geoff himself, and Sara captured my heart by showing up to our consultation with a side shave haircut that I was also sporting at the time. Since then we’ve liked them a whole lot, and nothing that they do makes us like them less, just more, so our liking them increases all the time. They had succulents at their wedding! And Sara wore cute mint green wedding shoes! And there was dry lavender all over the place that I think they secretly chose for me so I could breathe deeply in whenever I needed to relax. Their friend Brittini made me delicious gluten-free cupcakes and they danced to REM… and Hanson. Then Joe found out that a former member of the Smashing Pumpkins has since joined a band with the rest of Hanson, and Joe’s head exploded, and we went home.
- Date: April 4, 2015
- Ceremony and Reception Venue: Snipes Farm Retreat // Chapel Hill, NC
- First Dance: “At My Most Beautiful” – R.E.M.
- Sara’s Occupation: Works for a publishing company in Durham
- Joe’s Occupation: Paralegal for a law firm in Raleigh (but in August 2015 he will transform into a law student!)
- How You Met: In astronomy lab/singing karaoke (both in Chapel Hill)
- Interesting Fact: We once took an overnight road trip to Philadelphia specifically to run up the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art a la Rocky but Kanye West was playing a show there that night and had built a stage, blocking said steps from the public (this is the second time this has happened to Sara).
- Honeymoon: Los Angeles, California
- Vendor Credits: Officiant – Rev. Robin Renteria | Cake – Lisa Clifton | Caterer – Nantucket Grill | Emcees – Brooke Watson and Eliza Biswas (Joe’s coworkers) | Ceremony flowers – Paula Jean’s Garden on Etsy | Succulents – The Succulent Source (also on Etsy) | Gluten-free cupcakes – Brittini Harbin (Joe’s friend)
We’ve been long-distance-email-friends with Cat and Mitchell ever since they wanted to have their consult at a Waffle House. Then Cat got in the habit of sending me Buzzfeed lists of ridiculously terrible and over-the-top engagement photo ideas, and then insisted we meet for tacos before their engagement session where she showed up wearing galaxy leggings. We keep trying to see Brand New with Mitchell and we’re fairly confident that it will work out someday but the chances of it working out would be even stronger should Cat and Mitchell move closer to us. They had their wedding at Starlight Meadow, an amazingly gorgeous farm-barn wedding venue out near Burlington, and brought in the most important of all wedding accessories: a bouncy castle. Cat wore a pink dress and the whole wedding was comic-booked themed with dinosaurs for an added touch. Mitchell wore batman Converse shoes, and Cat wore Joker converse shoes. My favorite part of the whole day was when the little flower girl saw the Joker converse shoes and said, “Ohhh, Aunt Cappy, and they are beautiful!!!” and gasped and made some other clearly impressed noises like they weren’t in fact very fun and awesome Chucks, but rather jewel-encrusted Cinderella slippers. Well, that was my favorite part of the day until an adorable black cat showed up and decided to take some pictures with us until the staff at Starlight Meadow lovingly escorted him away (much to our disappointed and sadness). It was a pretty great wedding.
Date: August 8, 2014
Ceremony and Reception Venue: Starlight Meadow // Burlington, NC
First Dance Song: “I Love You But I Don’t Know What to Say” – Ryan Adams
Cat’s Occupation: Math Teacher
Mitchell’s Occupation: Logistics Coordinator
How You Met: The old-fashioned way
Interesting Fact: Mitchell proposed on the first date after discovering that Cat has a Batman tattoo.
Honeymoon Destination: Beach immediately following, Italy later in the year
Vendor Credits: Officiant – Reverend Jac Grimes | DJ – Mitchell made a playlist. He goes by DJ Tanner | Florist – Vestal’s Florist | Cake – McKenna McCleery | Caterer – Butch Miller and Shot Justice | Hair – Sydney Jones and Jason Johnson | Makeup – Crystal Leonard | Coordinator – Cathy Justice | Guitarist – Greg Hyslop